I found enough time over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend to drop the engine and gearbox into the Indy. It was a very straight forward fit after all with out too much hassle. It took a bit of juggling to get the gearbox under one of the transmission tunnel cross braces and getting the prop shaft to fit. Other than that it was a one man job and only took an hour.
Once I’ve sorted out a clutch cable and the clutch works I’ll be happy to push on and look at the fuelling and cooling for the engine. This should line me up nicely for a bargain hunting spree at Stoneleigh Show.
Since last report I’ve now had the Prop’ shaft delivered. It was obviously straight of a donor Sierra with a nice new Universal joint welded on one end. I spent a few hours rubbing it down to remove the rust and gave it a quick coat of paint to spruce it up a bit.
Used the heat resistant paint I bought for the brakes on the gearbox to smarten it up abit. I’ve also removed the inspection cover and it seems to be OK inside. There is a bit of play in the input bearing that may be OK once the input shaft sits in the flywheel bearing. At this stage I’ll just put fresh oil in it and stick it in. I’d rather make some progress and get the car running than fanny about at this stage stripping the gearbox.
I’ve also picked up a set of GSXR 600 Throttle bodies from eBay for £51. They are in mint condition too. So I’m going to have to get my head round building an ECU to fuel the thing pretty soon.
Plan for the Easter break is to get some engine paint and hopefully stick the lot in the car.
Well the engine that was promised did appear on New Years day and what a bargain it seems to be too. Seller delivered it to my door and was a real gent’.
Everything looks sound; I’ve wiped the cam cover off and had a quick look. It’s very clean with no gunk and a resent new cam. All of the plugs have brown tips and it turns freely. Also has a vernier cam gear and toothed timing wheel on the bottom pulley. I’m well chuffed, it will get a clean and maybe a coat of paint then it will be bolted up to the gearbox and stuck in the car.
2000cc with 0.5mm Overbore
Block deck faced
Block chemically cleaned with new core plugs
Crank assembly balanced
New oil pump
Injection head fitted. Skimmed 40thou and 3 angle seats cut.
Piper 285 cam kit fitted (cam springs ball studs followers and spray bar)
Vernier pulley fitted and cam correctly timed in
RS2000 shallow winged alloy sump
Alloy cam cover
The front pulley has since had a toothed wheel fitted to operate megajolt, although the electronic distributor is still fitted.